Thursday, October 25, 2012

Retired, ready to go, replacement parts acquired...!

Well; I am officially retired (as of Oct. 19), overslept this AM, missing the 5:10 AM gym departure with my still-working wife.  Awakening about 5:45, I briefly could not remember which day of the week it was!  All days are Saturdays, so it seems. 

Yesterday, my "trailer buddy", Gary Pierce, and I journeyed up to Sacramento to see RV Doctor George, a fine company specializing in retro and newer trailer parts (lots and lots of retro trailer parts!).  The Good News: Found a Jalousey replacement window for my Scotty door, and a 12 volt electric fan for installation in the interior.  The Bad News, that Jalousey window ($52), while complete and a good find, is about one inch narrower than the broken/pieces-missing window I took out of the trailer (yes, I should have taken the existing one with me, though, not sure they had one an inch wider).  Below, new window on top, old shell below, with the fan that I also bought):

So, the question - do I go with the new window, and cover the gap, outside and in, with trim, or keep looking for that "dead-on replacement"?  Guess I will have to sleep on that question, and, soon to visit my favorite window/glass shop, with a couple windows that need new glass, I can explore the idea of trimming it out.

In last two weeks, I have picked up all new "teardrop running lites" for sides and roof line, a replacement Bargman L66B lockset for the broken-handled one that came with Scotty ($100, Ebay, with key, solid though weather-pitted), an almost new Humphrey's gas lamp for the interior ($39, Ebay), along with the window and the fan.  Later today, I'll pull most of the windows out, then it's a matter of removing the side and top aluminum skins to determine just how much water damage/dry rot I have to deal with. Should get interesting, real quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment