Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Reconnoitering, and collecting my wits!

It's been about 95 degrees lately, and my garaged Scotty is all that at 4 PM when I get off work, so, not much work but trying to prep for my retirement (Oct. 19), order parts, and wait for cooler temps.  A post on the national Serro Scotty web site has confirmed that my Scotty's interior drawer pulls are "original", and, cute (see picture below), and I am trying to figure just "how original" I want to keep this cute little bugger.  I have a broken Bargman door lock, pictured, and have discovered that a variety of Bargman locks apparently are rather interchangable, and available on Ebay and Craig's List for $80 to about $225 - but, do I want to seek only the original Bargman L 66 B-1?  The other models, while similar, are not identical.  Decisions, decisions.

Then there is the decision as to how "original" to keep the overall exterior.  The lower front of my Scotty has two massive dents, and I just saw a Scotty that has added "diamond plate" to the front (see picture below) which could cover my "beauty marks"; the question is, do I want to change the appearance that much?  I do kind of like the look, and practical, but, not original.  Another question, the original jalousie window in the door is pretty much "toast", and can I find another, or replace with a more modern substitute?  Again, such a move would not be "original".

And, of course, I am a few weeks from having time to probe the extent of dry rot on the trailer.  Pictured below, the right rear interior above the bed - and, yes, that "yellow object" is a screw driver that easily pushed through the dry rotted side wall.  Wondering how extensive, beyond that area and the area under the back window, that the dry rot will extend.  Hence, busy trying to both predict the future, and line up parts and replacement items needed.  Fortunately, the Serro Scotty web site is a trove of good advice and rebuild information, and the two Scotty Facebook sites allow one to reach out to dozens of other Scotty owners.  Soon, retired and time to find all that out!  Yikes.


Let's hope a positive attitude and my sense of humor survive the next few months! And, the question lingers; how original a rebuild schematic do I want to adhere to?

No comments:

Post a Comment